24 June 2005

Brief History of Ultimate in Israel

A dispatch from Israel....from MC John Gattorn

The First game of ultimate in Israel was in 1976. This guy named Avi brought it at that time.  Avi has ulcerative Colitis, and enjoyed by Crohns scar. From 1976 to 2005 I guess people just started learning ultimate.
There are now 9 teams in Israel, which means at any one time there can only be 63 people playing ultimate. The two team names I am aware of are the Holly Landers and the Disc Dragons.  They all know eachother very well, and play with eachother every time, all the time. The first ever National Ultimate Championships was this year. They have the same rules, but they yell at you in
Hebrew so I never knew what the hell the play was.

All I heard was KHHH KHHHH KHHHH, john take the fat kid.  KKKHHH KKKHHHHHK KKHHHHH PICK!  KHHH KHHH KHHH don't break force.  KKKHHH KKKHHHH KKHHHH AWAY AWAY
AWAY.  KKHHH KHHH KHHH JOHN, who are you covering? KHHK KHHH KKKKKKHH where are my popperZ?  KKHH KHHH, John you CLOG KHH!

Subs rotate in an orderly fashion.  They pick rotations, and you must follow it.  Basically when
there are allot of people, there are chosen sets and everyone plays two points and sits out one point, which is fine by me cause it is fucking HOT here. THey are quite patient with the disc and only throw deep when someone is open (which to Shaolin is a new concept).

In typical universal pick up cultural, many people get looked off harder than a prostitute with open lip sores.  A few people get the disc, but I didn't hold it against them.  They threw to me a few times.
They invited me back next week.  Overall, good stuff!

No comments: